Friday, May 11, 2012

I have been making homemade baby wipes for a while now and thought I should do a post about them.  They smell great and work great!  I love them!  First off, I tried Bounty and Viva paper towels because I read up a lot on making these and they were the top 2 paper towels that people loved.  I prefer the Viva.  They seem to be the most durable.  Now on to the directions.
Homemade Baby Wipes
2 C. Water
1 Tbsp. Baby Oil
2 Tbsp. Baby Wash
~Boil water in microwave for 5 minutes.  Then add baby oil and baby wash.  Stir well.  Pour into wipes container.  Place paper towel ½ roll, cut side down, into solution.  Put lid on and let sit until solution has been absorbed.  Next, turn container upside down for 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes, flip container right side up.  Open and remove inner cardboard roll.  Start wipes by pulling a towel up from the center of the roll.
This Sterilite container is seriously perfect for these wipes!  I got mine at Wal-Mart.  I'm pretty sure I paid $4.50 for it.  Perfect size for the 1/2 roll of paper towel, and pretty much air tight.  Some people were saying they had mold growing on their wipes so I wanted to get the best container possible to prevent that from happening.  I haven't had any issues with mold.  Plus I wonder if maybe they weren't boiling their water?  Hmm.. I don't know!  In my directions, "boil water for 5 minutes" actually means: Place water in microwave safe bowl and cook for 5 minutes.  (They're my directions- I'll write them however I want! I know what I mean!  Lol!)  If you prefer to boil your water on the stove top, just make sure it boils for 2 minutes. :)

4 comments:

Gurr Family said...

I didn't boil my water. Does that only help with the mold issue or is there another reason for it? I really liked mine but Cameron did not. They were too small for him. go figure! and they were also VERY wet. Like I could ring them out. I am going to have to try again with your directions. Thanks!!!!

Annette said...

Hmmmm...might have to give them a try since we are going to be needing wipes again... :)

Bobi... said...

Danielle, I think boiling the water is to kill any germs. Hence the mold issue some people had. I think this recipe is just the perfect amount of wetness. Good luck! :)

Brianna Tuckett said...

Sweet!! Thanks for the tip Bobi! DEFINITELY gonna use this one! :)